Grads In Games partner, Sumo Digital, is one of the UK’s most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team of over 50 staff currently based in their new Nottingham studio, featuring highly experienced industry talent covering a wide range of disciplines.
Since our inception in 2003 we have had a string of successful titles across all gaming platforms for partners that include Microsoft, SEGA, Sony, Disney and many more. Our most recent successes include LittleBigPlanet 3, work on Disney Infinity 3.0, and our first self-published title Snake Pass. We are also incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One) and Dead Island 2 (multi-platform) plus several other exciting but currently unannounced projects.
We are looking for enthusiastic graduate programmers to join the Sumo Sheffield team to assist with development of existing console and Windows based projects.
We are always hiring talented programmers, and welcome applications across all specialist areas.
Graduate programmer responsibilities
- Working with project managers and other leads to define and complete programming tasks
- Writing high quality source code
- Working with designers to implement gameplay and user interface elements to the designers’ specifications
- Liaising with Quality Assurance to fix bugs
- Ensuring the game is compliant with manufacturer’s guidelines for the relevant platforms
- Maintaining stability of development environment for the entire development team
- Strong C++ programming skills
- Strong 3D programming and mathematics skills
- Thorough understanding of the game production process
- Excellent communication skills
- Worked on at least one released game and/or experience with at least one current generation engine (UE4, CryEngine, Source, Unity etc.)
- Experience of source control systems
- Contributing to shipped titles on games console
- Graphics systems (3D graphics, animation, camera control, lighting, materials and shaders)
- Knowledge of the requirements placed on gameplay code by a multiplayer networked game
- Experience with Playstation, Xbox, Nintendo, console programming
- Experience of working to manufacturers’ guidelines for the relevant platforms
Benefits & studio details
Sumo Digital offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include the legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Sumo’s new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight – staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by the studio.
Sumo’s environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
Nottingham itself benefits from a wealth of attractions, including a diverse range of bars and restaurants, several art galleries and a wide variety of cultural events. Highlights include the Theatre Royal, the Nottingham Contemporary art gallery, the National Video Game Arcade and the Motorpoint Arena Nottingham. The annual GameCity festival takes place throughout Nottingham city centre, celebrating the culture, innovation and creativity of video games and their development
This role is being managed by Grads In Games via Aardvark Swift. For more details please contact Sharan Bassi at Sharan@aswift.com or call us on 01709 834777