Working for Coconut Lizard – Newcastle, UK
Coconut Lizard are looking for an Associate Technical Artist!
The Associate Technical Artist will be a key part of our growing team. We are looking for a creative problem solver to support both the art and animation team requirements, assisting with resolving technical issues, streamlining workflows, improving performance and creating toolsets.
We work with high-profile clients on amazing game titles and the Technical Artist will get to work on a wide variety of projects, raising the bar of the art productivity and efficiency, and therefore helping us satisfy and retain their loyalty.
• Help to establish and maintain project art pipelines from inception and throughout the project life cycle.
• Support the art and animation team requirements and assist with resolving technical issues.
• Assist with creating and integrating in-house toolsets and be involved in creating materials/shaders.
• Help to ensure all artwork hits memory and frame rate guidelines/restrictions by means of performance profiling.
• Collaborate with the artists and feedback on how they can improve the performance of the in-game assets while maintaining visual fidelity.
• Help to ensure all artwork adheres to guidelines regarding naming conventions, texture layering structures etc.
• Keep up to date with industry advancements and technologies and share knowledge with the art team.
• Add to our library of tutorials, documents and technical guides to improve efficiency in the art pipeline and be proactive in finding solutions to technical issues.
• Advise Tech Art Leads of resourcing concerns and productions risks.
• Enjoy the technical challenge and constraints of real-time game art and have some understanding of modern rendering, shading and lighting techniques.
• Must be performance and quality focused.
• Must have a working knowledge of Maya and/or 3DS Max and some knowledge in Python.
• Good communication and organisation skills and enthusiasm for working within a multidisciplinary art team.
• Ability to create materials/shaders and an understanding of a PBR workflow.
• Good understanding of the technical limitations of current console hardware.
• Practical and methodical approach to technical and creative problem-solving.
Confidential – © d3t Ltd 2022 2
• Demonstrate dependability and commitment to projects and tasks, and a hunger to learn and improve as a Technical Artist.
• Flexible and calm approach with the ability to adapt to change.
• Ability to deliver quality work within fixed time constraints.
• Knowledge of current game development practices and terminology and a passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques.
• MEL and/or Maxscript knowledge is advantageous.
• Knowledge of the Maya API and programming in C++ or C# is advantageous.
• Some understanding of various other tools and software used in development, Photoshop, Substance, Houdini etc is also advantageous.
• Knowledge of Unreal Engine or Unity is advantageous.
Coconut Lizard is a great environment to work in and offers the following company benefits:
• Competitive Salary
• 25 Days Annual Holiday
• Company Pension Scheme (% matched by company up to 10%)
• Company Christmas Bonus Scheme
• Private Medical Scheme
• Amazon Birthday Voucher
• Medical Cash plan Scheme (Optical/Dental)
• Death in Service
• Anti-crunch environment
• Flexible Working Hours
• Social Events
• Studio Refreshments – very well stocked!
Note – we are looking for candidates that are willing to re-locate to our studio after Covid has passed but are happy to consider talented applicants that desire to work remotely for the time being. All interviews will be held via video call.