Break into the industry with Search for a Star
Search For A Star is one of the industry’s biggest student game development challenges, designed to help you make the leap from student to professional games developer.
Jobs, internships and mentoring are available for high achieving final year and Masters students, while personal feedback from industry professionals and impressive portfolio pieces can improve employability tenfold!
If you’re a first- or second-year student, please see our companion Challenge offering internship placements: Rising Star.
We’ve worked with leading studios all over the country to bring you this year’s Search for a Star. Our industry judges have created a number of briefs to challenge and test your skills, giving you the perfect opportunity to show these guys what you’re capable of.
The challenge consists of five categories which you can enter: games programming, 3D character art, 3D environment art, 3D animation, and VFX. Each category has its own briefs and, where applicable, concept art donated by the industry.
We want to prepare you for what lies ahead; that’s why our challenge has been split into components designed by industry experts to mirror a typical games industry recruitment process.
We’ve got a number of great industry partners with us this year, which means we’re happy to say that all students who register for Search for a Star this year will be able to take part in both the Skills Assessment and the Dev Project! You’ll have even more opportunity to show the judges what you can do!
The Skills Assessment: A HackerRank C++ test for programmers or a portfolio assessment for artists;
The Dev Project: Programmers create their very own game which can be taken in any direction they see fit, while artists create a game-ready asset pack to industry briefs. You can check out what last year’s winners created here;
The Interview: Outstanding students will be invited to our Finals Day Showcase Event to demonstrate their skills and knowledge to a panel of industry experts.
For more detailed information on what each challenge involves for each category, see below:
What’s in it for you?
- Winners receive a job interview with a leading game development studio;
- Build your portfolio and improve skills by receiving personalized feedback from professionals in your field from every stage of the challenge;
- Win big prizes donated by the industry! Last year’s loot hoard included state of the art AMD graphics cards and Allegorithmic art software licenses;
- Develop a games project using a real brief and have your work showcased in front of some of the UK’s leading games studios;
- Experience interview panels with judges from the industry, including big names such as Sumo Digital and Playground Games!
Search for a Star 2018 is now open for registration – click here to sign up!