Break into the industry with Search for a Star
Search For A Star is one of Europe’s biggest student game development competitions, designed to highlight and reward the most promising student game developers, and help them break into the industry with a bang.
Jobs, internships and mentoring are available for high achieving final year and Masters students, while personal feedback from industry professionals and impressive portfolio pieces can improve employability tenfold!
If you’re a first- or second-year student, please see our companion competition offering internship placements: Rising Star.
We want to prepare you for what lies ahead; that’s why our competition has been split into three stages designed by industry experts to mirror a typical games industry recruitment process.
The competition consists of five categories which you can enter: games programming, 3D character art, 3D environment art, 3D animation, and VFX. You’ll have the chance to create your own games, art assets, animations or visual effects (depending on your discipline), to make a big impression with our judge panel and grow your own portfolio.
We’re changing things up this year and allowing every student who registers for Search for a Star to compete in rounds one and two, giving you more opportunity to show the judges what you can do!
The first round of the competition consists of a HackerRank C++ test for programmers, or a portfolio review of a recent project you’ve worked on for artists, animators and VFX artists.
In round two, programmers are given the code for a very basic game and asked to create something which will wow us; you can change the game in any way you see fit, and extra features such as multiplayer or leader-boards are encouraged! Artists on the other hand are given concept art or a briefs which have been taken from games which our studio partners have used in the past.
What’s in it for you?
- Winners receive a job interview with a leading game development studio;
- Win big prizes donated by the industry! Last year’s loot horde included state of the art AMD graphics cards and Algorithmic art software licenses;
- Develop a games project using a real brief and have your work seen by members of industry;
- Build your portfolio and improve skills by receiving personalized feedback from professionals in your field from every stage of the competition;
- Experience interview panels with judges from the industry, including big names such as Sumo Digital and Playground Games;
- This is a chance to get your skills showcased in front of some of the UK’s leading games studios and make a big impression!
We’re currently in the process of putting Search for a Star 2018 together – check back in September for more info!